Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Kartoschka Little Chocolate Potatoe Cakes

Little Chocolate Potatoe Cakes - Favorite Dessert from Russia 

Potatoe (or hedgehog ) - is a small round or oval shaped biscuit-chocolate cake. It is a homogeneous mixture with a pronounced taste of cocoa. Very easy to make and yet delicious and original Russian dessert. Hard to resist!


Little Russian Chocolate Hedgehog Cakes - Kartoschka

Ingredients

500 grams of not very sweet cookies (I use 1/2 Vanilla wafers and 1/2 animal crackers)
200-300 grams pistachio nuts
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (380g)
200 grams softened butter
8 teaspoons unsweetened brute cocoa powder

4 tablespoons brandy (or cognac, or rum)
Preparation:
In a food processor, mince cookies and nuts into a coarse powder.
Mix condensed milk and butter.                    
Add cocoa and brandy (or cognac)                
Then add the cookie/nut mixture and mix all the ingredients into a smooth mixture
From the resulting mixture, roll small cakes in the form of potatoes.
You can decorate the top of the cakes. To do this, mix 1 tablespoon of softened butter with 1 tsp of sugar (or you can also use vanilla or chocolate frosting or mousse for decoration).
Apply waves, stripes, flowers, stars, leaves or whatever your favorite design on the top of the cakes with pastry syringe. Carefully cover the cakes with plastic wrap and place the cakes in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours before serving.
Note: If you don't like your cakes too sweet, you can use plain bread crumbs instead of cookie mixture

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummers... I'll have to make these for the guys.. ;P Thanks you are a doll!

    ReplyDelete