Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Onion Soup Warmer


The recipe:
4 tbsp butter
2 large white sweet onions thinly sliced
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup dry white wine
8 cups of broth (4 cups chicken & 4 cups beef) or
8 cups veggie broth
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf (2 small)
ground sea salt and ground pink pepper
8 slices thick sliced french bread (fresh)
1 3/4 cups shredded Emmental cheese

Make this soup in advance and refrigerate until ready to use. Fantastic to serve after sledding or caroling or just walking in the fresh fallen snow. =o)

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the onions and cook on low for 30 minutes. The onions will be very soft and lightly browned, now add sugar and cook for another 6 minutes on low heat. Add all wine and stir gently for an additional 5 minutes (don't skimp on time) Change to medium heat and bubble for 2 minutes then add broths, thyme and bay leafs. Reduce heat to medium cover and simmer for one hour. Season with salt and pepper. Store in fridge until ready to use.

In a wonderful soup tureen pour reheated hot soup after removing thyme and bay leafs. Top with 8 slices of fresh bakery french bread and cheese. Set tureen under a broiler for 4-6 minutes being careful not to char the cheese. Serve immediately.
You can also use 8 individual french onion soup bowls should you wish.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment