Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Zucchini even my kids will eat

These zucchini cakes make an elegant appetizer fit for those upcoming "fallish" parties. Not to mention a great way to use up that bumper crop of Zucchini that is winding all over your yard. Shredded fresh zucchini, is mixed with a little Parmesan, panko, paprika, garlic and a hint of ground nutmeg. The mixture is then pressed into patties and pan fried in olive oil until they are golden brown.
Makes: 8 cakes 0r 12 smaller cake bites
You will need:
  • 1 large zucchini grated, excess water removed (Note: To do this, after you grate the zucchini, put the grated zucchini into paper towels and place a couple of plates on top to squeeze and release the water)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • sprinkle of ground nutmeg, about 1/8 teaspoon (Note: it is best used fresh and just a wee gratings worth)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika (Hungarian smoke is my fave)
  • 1 1/2 clove garlic, minced or 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger with 1 tsp tandoori and madras curry combined.  (Do not use both garlic and ginger this is definitely an either or)
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 tablespoons canola oil (I am allergic to olive oil sadly)
  1. Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Using a heaping tablespoon form the mixture into 8 patties. Seriously I would double the recipe and make 24 smaller patties
  2. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once heated, add patties and cook until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes per side. Serve.
These are great when served with a dollop of  ranch dressing or mango curry chutney. Enjoy! I love to serve them with fresh cilantro sprigs and in decorative little paper cupcake liners. Everyone loves their own wee plated treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment