Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Mug an Upside Down Cake

Mug an Upside Down Cake and give it to a friend

This makes a great little gift for just about any reason. Even an,  I just mugged a cake reason!
 2 cup sized oven proof soup or coffee mug

To mug your cake you will need:
1/3 cup of flour
3/4 tsp of baking powder
3 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of sweet flaked coconut
1 tbs of brown sugar
4 maraschino cherries

Mix the first 4 dry ingredients together and place into a ziplock bag and place on top of the fruit!
1- 4oz/120g tin of diced pineapple pieces or peach pieces (I even like the very cherry fruits) This is the lunch box size tin and you want it to fit in the bottom of the mug. The plastic fruit cups work well for narrower mugs.

Make sure to have on hand some gift tags large enough to print your instructions and or course a pretty bow for the top of your ziplock bag. I insert it in upside down so "zip" is hiding tidy and then I pinch up a corner and tie the ribbon on.

Tag should include instructions of course:
2 1/2 tbsp of butter
1 egg
3 tbsp of whole milk
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp of melted butter
Preheat oven to 350'F or 165'C
in a small bowl add the ingredients from the mug and using your fingers mix in the shortening. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Grease your lovely new ovenproof mug with 1/2 tbsp of the melted butter.
Place the remaining melted butter in the mug and sprinkle with enclosed brown sugar. Place the cherries and the drained pineapple into the bottom of the mug. Pour the cake batter over the pineapple bake in an oven on a flat cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes. Top will be light gold and spring to touch or toothpick insertes will come out clean!
Tip** I love to buy a bunch of mugs on sale in January and use them the following year for festive little psuedo fruit cakes ... it will become a part of your nostalgic memories with family and friends .... I promise!

1 comment: