Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Iced Coffee that beats the Cafes


For this I use a Bodum coffee maker and a large bowl with a gallon of water and one pound regular ground coffee. Follow me so far haha Oh you need two cans of sweetened condensed milk and 2 cans of evaporated milk ( It lasts a month!! ) Oh and a LOT of ice! This time I used 500 ml of table cream and left off one can of condensed milk and one can of evap milk (My son isnt a fan of too sweet or too creamy)
I like a pail my son Garrett likes a pot!

Action! Cold brew for 14 hours!

The java takes a little better than 12 hours to cold brew and another hour or so to cold press. I know it sounds intense but really it isn't and it is worth it. Think of the cafe dollars you will save not to mention the gratification of making something better than you can possibly buy!

Now as many of you already know I spend my summers in the Southern USA ... I'm hooked! I have a wonderful friend, a delicious garden, a gorgeous flower garden, my own chickens and "human" dogs, about 5,000 goldfish in a pond as well as deer and turkeys! Yes deer and turkeys. Originally we were going to eat some of these pets but named them and once they have a name, all bets are off. So we settle for farm fresh eggs each morning and the great part is that when the hens lay their eggs they come to the garden door and tell us. Haha ... in return they get cornmeal muffin scraps. Pretty good deal I would say. (Not to mention what ever they steal from my gardens as they are freest rangest chickens that could have crossed our lips.
Well this summer was killer hot and it takes an hour and 15 minutes to go to Starbucks and back. Not only that but it costs about a hundred dollars because when I go it is the old "while I am here I best stock up" Next thing I am stocking up on new things I have never seen before because really I am a Canadian obsessed with the Southern USA. So all told the trip is 3 hours HOT HOURS!
The only thing I do not like about the south is Sweet Tea ... blick! I ordered tea with milk at a Bob Evans restaurant and the waitress brought me a glass of tea with ice in it and a glass of milk .... I looked at her as though she was nuts and she gave me the same exchange back. Then she said "you have to order "HOT TEA" and burst out laughing at me. ha! Well I got the last laugh, this kind lady who witnessed the exchange told me how to make the best darned tootin Iced Coffee that ever crossed my lips. <3  This was after she saw me taste that putrid Sweet tea!
Her name even made me smile "Penelope" no lies haha Onwards ...  Thank you Miss Penelope!

Recipe:
Okay so pour the whole pack of coffee and the whole gallon of water in a stainless steal food grade pail. You can use a bowl but it isnt as self fulfilling.
Let that steep until it is quite concentrated and strong. (12 to 14 hours covered with cheesecloth so flies do not poop in your coffee, seriously) Then patiently press it by batches in your new spiffy Bodum coffee press. (sure you can use a filter but you will go crazy I guarantee it)
Then find the fanciest jar or bottle you have laying about. I use a one gallon mason jar You can use anything really but glass is best! Pour your coffee concentrate in and seal for refrigerator storage.
Then open your 2 tins condensed milk and 2 tine evap milk and pour into an equally attractive glass bottle (you deserve this) for refrigerator storage.
Now to consume this decadent bevvie!
Fill a glass with a lot of ice (NOT CRUSHED) Then add equal parts of coffee concentrate and sweetest cream! You can even add flavour syrups that I will tell you how to make in another post! So for now grab a bottle of syrup from your fave cafe!
Enjoy! I know you will! Pictures are forthcoming because I'm really crappy at photoshop! xox Happy java'ing my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment