Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Curried Squash and Sweet Potatoe Soup by Me

2 med. acorn squash (2 3/4 cups cooked and cubed)
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoe
2 1/2 c. chicken OR veggie stock
1 c. orange juice
1 c milk or SOY milk

1 can 14 oz coconut milk
1/4 c olive oil OR 2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 med. clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger root or pickled ginger
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Dash cayenne
Optional: Lemon juice, croutons, pine nuts


Split squash and bake face down in 375 degree oven on an oiled tray 30 minutes or until soft, microwave your sweet pototoes at this time for approx 4 mins per potatoe. Cool and scoop out insides of squash and dice along with the sweet potatoes. Put SQUASH 2 3/4 cups in blender with stock and puree until smooth. Add sweet potatoes and continue puree process Combine in saucepan with other liquids.
Heat butter. Add garlic, onion, salt, pepper and spices. ( you need to saute those spices and the ginger root) Saute until onion is soft. (Add little water if onion sticks.) Add mushrooms. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
Add saute to squash, scraping the skillet well. Heat everything together very gently. Taste to correct seasonings. You may want to add more cayenne since this is a sweet soup. Add some fresh lemon juice (optional). Simmer soup for at least an hour for flavor. Optional: Serve with cornbread croutons and a little sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.


recipe by Lyndsay Zoratti

3 comments:

  1. This first entry is dedicated to my friend Neil Neal who inspires me and shares his soup recipes with me Cheers to my friend Neil xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite delicious if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete