Welcome

Glad to see you stop by! This is a collection of recipes I have developed, received from friends or was inspired by and altered somehow. While I try to post all food photos I just cannot help but share some of my Vintage clippings with you from my Gran's recipe drawer, my great Gran's tin and of course my Mum's treasure trove of her Gran's lovely publications all kept so prim, not to mention the cache my Mum also had and even mine too! They are all regularly used recipes, loved by my family, friends, and now you my treasured readers Enjoy!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Polena Kapusta


Today my Dad made Kapusta, and that makes me so proud of him! To me, I identify my Dad as a fantastic cook along with many other things. The cooking he did, seemed to bring the family in a little tighter if only for a weekend dinner. Sounds kinda sad, but no not really. He showed us our roots and where the recipes our family has used through the years have come from. This fellow can even make new potatoes, carrots and green beans taste like a wicked gourmet dish with butter salt and pepper. I used to love watching him pick over all the veggies at the farmers' market for the "perfect pick" I wonder if he knew I was paying attention haha! He even had a garden for years and now I miss him gardening, because to me ... that is my Dad! So Thanks Dad!
This one is my recipe adapted from my Dad and a lovely Slovakian gal, but I am a lover of Sauerkraut!

Holupki or Polena Kapusta or Cabbage Rolls

Sauerkraut, 1 lb. bag
1 - 2 heads of cabbage (I use sour cabbage now)
Filling: (I devised this using all my Daddie's techniques, he never really did the same thing twice! Again I was always watching! I think Gran told me he was sick when he was little a lot, so he would hang out with her and cook! So awesome!)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 lb. bacon diced (My addition as I am a bacon addict)
2 cups rice raw or instant (Dad would NEVER touch instant rice but I have)                                                              
1 egg ( a helpful little binder)
1 onion chopped **prepare onions and garlic as per note below**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
4 cloves of garlic minced (I am sure my father used more) 
1 tbsp dill weed (optional but I love it)
Baking Sauce:
1 c. water
1c. Tomatoe Juice (do not use V8 as it doesn’t give the right flavour)                            
1 can campbells tomatoe soup                                     
1 small tin tomatoe paste                                           
1 small tin diced tomatoes                                          
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp thyme or 1 Tbsp dill ( Dad likes this option)
The night before mix together all filling ingredients! **What is very important here is that your onions are fried to a little past caramel stage and to little dark edges, I think Dad puts the fresh garlic in at this time too**

Chill in fridge overnight so flavours can marry! Mmm MMM good haha
The smooth type of cabbage is best!
Next day scald cabbage leaves till limp - use only the large ones (well no not really I put all the cabbage in and about my cast iron casserole roaster because it is so good! Even the very end of the cabbage which I call cabbage hearts) 
Drain all the leaves as you pull them off your cabbage (Kapusta)
Take a handful of meat mixture place in cabbage roll up folding sides in to hold meat in. (Only my Dad can roll these the size of a thumb and all uniform, I remember once when I was making these big honking ones he made me redo them! haha) Place in large pan layered with the rest of cabbage pieces and bits & sauerkraut under & over each layer. This is where I put the "cabbage hearts as I call them" I tuck each one in like it is a cabbage roll, there is a mad race for these in my house! Pour the baking sauce over center and top layer.
Cover & cook slowly 2 1/2 - 3 hours add more juice or water to keep moist if needed (We go with 325 degrees F) Make sure to take the lid off for the last 15 minutes of baking to remove excess liquid if there is any but it is likely not going to happen because the sauce is really good too.
Serve with boiled new potatoes & beets with onions & vinegar & crusty rye bread 
Enjoy!






    1 comment:

    1. Kapusta is Cabbage Soup with Spare Ribs. You recipe is for Golabki, (stuffed cabbage rolls). I am polish and I am making Kapusta Soup as I read.

      ReplyDelete